Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Last Night I Made Stock From The Bones of The Pig on The Spit

I like to call this creature The Pig That Keeps on Giving. I made pulled pork sandwiches from the leftovers the day after we roasted it, and when I pulled said pork off the bones I froze them and later made a yummy stock, fo’ free. And from that stock I made the Best Split Pea Soup Ever.

I save the bones whenever I cook. I shove ‘em in the freezer along with vegetable tops and herbs and all the stuff from the fridge that is just about to go soft. I've made chicken stock, veggie stock, mushroom stock, beet stock and turkey stock, and my dad has made stock from crab shells. It’s super easy – just put the frozen bones and veggies in water and boil, then turn down the stove and simmer for as long as you’re home. Making your own stock means won’t have to buy it in cardboard containers from Trader Joe’s, and it makes you look all gourmet and not just like a cheapass.

So think about it before you throw your food away: Can you freeze it and make stock out of it instead? Because these days, anyone who can make stock instead of making it disappear looks like a goddamned genius.

2 comments:

JBF said...

Instaed of just popping the shellfish/crab shell, etc. in boiling water, you can also sautee 'em first in some butter or bacon fat. Get 'em a little happy and then throw in your veggies, water, etc. mmmm. mmmmmm.

Coco said...

mmmm....bacon.